This year for the first time my family and I will be spending Christmas on the island of Maui. Of course, I am looking forward to a unique Hawaiian holiday experience with sun, sand and Santa. But can Christmas on Maui be more than just substituting commercialized mainland experiences for commercialized island experiences? Is there some Maui “Aloha” that can make Christmas even more meaningful? Of course, in preparation for my December visit to Maui, I’ve already Googled “Christmas on Maui” and have a few things on my list (see below), but what about you? What do YOU like to do on Maui during the holidays?
I asked Maui resident Erik Blair of ErikEverywhere.com about his favorite things to do on Maui during the holidays. His response was quintessentially Hawaiian: “Some times we get a group together and agree to meet to watch the sunset, or rarely, sunrise.” Don’t let Erik’s suggestion scare you off…not all Maui Christmas activies need to be so cerebral or zen. Christmas lights and decorations and food are great during the holidays as well! Please comment to this post, and during the month of December I’ll update you on my thoughts about Aloha Christmas based on personal experience!
Some things on my “Top Things to Do during Christmas on Maui” List:
- See the Banyan Tree Christmas lighting in Lahaina (Dec 7th/8th 2013)
- See Willie K’s Christmas concert at the MACC (Dec 14th 2013)
- Take a crazy Christmas photo with the family
- Go to Makawao Town for Third Friday Christmas
- Watch the sunset or sunrise (via ErikEverywhere.com )
Updated 11/14/13: We’ve had some great suggestions thanks to your comments! Here are a few more items that are vieing for a spot on my “Top Things to Do during Christmas on Maui” List:
- Watch Santa swim in the shark tank at Maui Ocean Center. (Thanks http://www.maui-oceanview-condo.com/ and http://mauimadeblog.wordpress.com/)
- Go whale watching since it is peak whale season during Christmas.
- Visit the Trees Lighted at Grand Wailea (Thanks http://www.amauiblog.com/)
- Join Friends of Haleakala and cut down a Christmas tree (and help protect the fragile environment on this mighty Maui mountain at the same time).
And more to come with your help! Again, please leave your comments here with suggestions for things to do on Maui during the Christmas season!